Insurance, of all kinds, helps protect yourself, your family, your home, and other assets. We all need it — no matter our age, background, or occupation.
Still, the process of buying insurance and getting the best coverage, limits, and premiums, is quite a challenge. Complex coverage plans, options that vary from company to company, and confusing fine print can make the process a nightmare — especially when you’re purchasing more than one type of insurance.
In this article, we’ll go over a way that you can buy insurance that makes the process much easier. It will also allow you to save money and time and reduce stress so often associated with insurance shopping.
Before that, however, let’s go over a brief overview of the three main ways that insurance can be purchased in the first place.
3 Options for Buying Insurance
1). Buying Direct: Buying direct means buying insurance directly from the insurance provider (usually online or over the phone). Companies such as Geico Insurance and Esurance offer buy-direct options.
2). Buying With a Captive Agent: Captive agents offer insurance through one insurance provider that they contract with. These agents are essentially an employee of this insurance provider, but they work remotely, away from the central office and in their local area.
3). Buying With an Independent Agent or Broker: Similar to captive agents, independent agents are also local and work out of their own office. The difference is that independent agents work with multiple insurance companies (where, again, captive agents are only contracted with one insurance company).
The Easiest Way to Buy the Best Insurance
Out of the three buying options listed above, there is one option that outperforms the rest in nearly every way: Buying insurance from an independent agent.
Buying insurance from an independent insurance agent or broker offers the following advantages:
- They’re local. Unlike purchasing insurance over the Internet, with an independent agent, you can walk into the insurance agent’s office and physically sit down with them to discuss your insurance options.
- They’re a one-stop shop. Many insurance companies only offer one or two types of insurance. Because most everyone needs at least three or four types of insurance (if not more), this means that you’ll often have to contract with several different insurance companies, creating varying policies that can be difficult to keep track of. Independent agents can provide you with every type of insurance you need — all at once. Even if you go with different providers, your insurance agent will handle all of your contracts, creating a one-stop shop scenario for your insurance purchasing needs.
- The value’s always better. It’s common to assume that independent agents cost more to work with. This is often because independent agents do earn a commission from the insurance companies they work for. But this added commission doesn’t mean that you’re not getting a good value when you work with independent agents. The huge range of options you’ll have with these agents will provide you with a value that is ultimately much better than if you bought direct from the insurance company.
- You can stick with them. If you decide to change insurance companies, policies, or coverage options next year or in the following years, you can still stay with your agent. They’ll simply provide you with new options to choose from.
- You get the best, most honest advice. Lastly, independent agents are truly independent and free to offer you unbiased advice about the best policies, coverage, and limits for you.
If you’re in the market for a hardworking independent agent, speak to us at Philleo Agency Insurance today.