Milwaukee home insurance companies always have your best interest at heart, by providing you with the best home insurance coverage and by assisting you with any type of information that can complement your safety strategy and protect your loved ones.
For that reason, experienced adjusters are happy to share some home protection tips that can reduce the chances of having to ask for an insurance claim.
– Avoid water damage: Water damage is not only a very common problem that homeowners and renters face, it can also be very costly, causing millions of dollars in losses. And such losses can carry a stigma, because once your home has had a serious water problem, it can affect your insurance rates.
“Fortunately, water detectors can give homeowners an early warning when a leak occurs”, says Kevin Foley, an independent Milwaukee home insurance agent. “I have one under my water heater, behind the refrigerator in case the ice cube maker becomes disconnected and behind the washing machine. Believe me, these little devices have saved me a lot of dollars in repairs”.
– Unplug your appliances: “A good way to avoid an electric fire claim is to unplug appliances before stepping out the door” advises Ronald R. Reitz, a public claims adjuster in San Diego, Ca. “My wife likes to unplug everything” says Reitz, “but we are aware that people don´t have enough time to plug and unplug every appliance they own”.
The most practical thing is to unplug appliances that you use frequently. If you don´t use an appliance regularly, keep it unplugged. “I have heard so many stories of broken outlets or cables that seemed so harmless and ended up being responsible for fires that I just take 2 minutes and unplug everything in the kitchen, the bathroom and the living room,” explains Reitz.
– Conduct a visual check: For clients living in storm or hurricane prone areas, Milwaukee home insurance adjusters strongly advice a simple visual check after a big storm, to make sure there has been no exterior damage. Is the roof intact?, Are the rain gutters in place and functioning properly?, Is the fence damaged?, Are there fallen trees and branches?
A simple walk around the premises can help you determine if something out of place can be hazardous for you or your family and also prove your insurance company the origin of the damage.
– Update your home inventory: “A very common mistake Milwaukee home insurance clients make is to never update their home inventory” says Derek Ross, an insurance agent in Milwaukee. “If you can´t remember what was stolen or destroyed, it won´t get replaced, especially after a trauma of a loss, when your memory may be faulty.”
“Is very important to update your home inventory after every big purchase and e-mail the list to yourself and a friend” concludes Ross.
– Remove hiding places for burglars: A great advice on keeping burglars away is to “keep your shrubs down”, says Derek Metz, an insurance adjuster in Milwaukee. “You may love the landscaping surrounding your home, but if it makes it hard for passers-by and neighbors to see your windows and doors, you may have an insurance claim in the making. Thieves look for secluded places where they can force their way into your home without alerting your neighbors, so don´t provide cover for burglars around your house”.
You can increase your chances of avoiding an insurance claim with simple safety-driven steps. If you want to increase them even more please contact you Milwaukee home insurance agent and ask for any extra information you might require.